- Switch off or unplug any appliances you’re not using. If they have a stand-by light, a display or are hot to the touch, they’ll be using energy just by being plugged in.
- Empty your vacuum cleaner regularly, it uses less energy when its empty.
- Set your fridge at around 3C to 5C and your freezer at -18C; the lower the temperature, the more it costs. Defrost your freezer regularly .
- Washing machines usually have a ‘half load’ option for smaller loads. Try washing at a low temperature too.
- Only fill the kettle with the amount of water you need to use.
Did you know?
Using a large hob for a small pan wastes energy. If your cooker has a small ring, use a small pan. If you try and heat a large pan on the small ring, you’re more likely to end up heating for longer than saving any money or energy.